EVENT | 29/06/2021
Net Zero Strategy: What should it look like?
This joint Aldersgate Group and BT event at London Climate Action Week provided insights into what businesses want to see from the Government’s upcoming net zero strategy.
It reflected on the state of UK climate policy and outline the key areas where the strategy should provide greater policy clarity to put the UK on a credible pathway to net zero emissions and to maximise economic and job creation opportunities for the UK following the COVID-19 pandemic.
The forthcoming net zero strategy will be critical to ensuring that the UK delivers on its ambitious climate targets. It is an opportunity for government to develop a comprehensive plan that will drive investment and put all sectors of the UK economy on the path to net zero by 2050. A credible and tangible delivery strategy will also demonstrate that the UK is leading by example and enhance its international leadership on climate and the environment, boosting the government’s influence at COP26.
Senior business leaders from a wide range of sectors discussed critical questions including:
- What does a successful net zero strategy look like?
- In which areas/sectors do current policy fall short of delivering a clear path to net zero? How can this be rectified through new policy interventions, market mechanisms, regulations, or legislation?
- How far out into the future should the strategy look in policy terms to support business investment cycles?
- How can the net zero strategy best support investment in innovation, supply chains and job creation opportunities and deliver increased competitiveness?
- Jess Shankleman, Reporter, Bloomberg News
- Louise Dalton, Partner, CMS
- Simon King, Director of Sustainability, Social Value and Fleet, Mitie
- Michelle Hubert, Group Head of Public Affairs and Policy, National Grid
- Olly Kunc, Managing Director, Service Delivery, Openreach
- Philippa Spence, Managing Director, Ramboll UK
- Christina Downend, Responsible Sourcing Manager (Sustainable Agriculture), Tesco